Postgraduate course "Business in biotechnology" organised together with the Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Biotechnology at the Jagiellonian University was developed for persons interested in operating their own business in the field of life science.
The main advantage of the studies is basing their curriculum on practical classes and case studies. Majority of the lecturers are practitioners in the field, managers, and management staff.
The course is intended for persons interested in operating a business venture, commercialising science and/or transferring technology. In particular, the project is directed to:
- people intending to organise and operate a business related to biotechnology or related industries;
- people in management positions interested in enhancing the innovativeness of their respective enterprises;
- graduates of economy programs;
- graduates of life science programs (biotechnology in particular).
Biotechnology-related education is not a prerequisite for participation in the project. The curriculum provides for catch-up classes for persons not previously involved in the life science field, as well as for persons with less experience in management.
Classes for students will be conducted by lecturers who are primarily practitioners (managers and management staff) developing business in the life science industry in Poland and abroad. For comparative purposes and in order to allow the students to develop their own business models, lecturers will include guests invited from abroad: professionals in technology transfer, marketing, and management from Sweden, Russia, and the United States. Theoretical lectures on life sciences and economy will be conducted by academic staff of the Jagiellonian University and of other leading Polish universities.
Classes will take place during weekend sessions twice per month. Classes will be conducted through two semesters, with approximately 60 contact hours of lectures and 40 contact hours of practical classes per semester. The classes will be grouped into thematic blocks, with the following subjects:
- (1a) Biotechnology for Managers - biotechnology as a field of business - 14 hrs;
- (1b) Economy for Biotechnologists - general market principles - 14 hrs;
- Innovative Business in life science - 28 hrs;
- Technology Transfer in life science - 26 hrs;
- Structure of an Innovative Company - 18 hrs;
- Managing a Business in the Life Science Industry - 27 hrs;
- Sales, Marketing, and Communications - 24 hrs;
- Financing Innovation in Bio-Business, Controlling - 23 hrs;
- Law in Business - 14 hrs;
- Business Development - Cooperation with Your Environment - 12 hrs;
1a and 1b are catch-up courses and take place simultaneously.
LANGUAGE OF INSTRUCTION: POLISH, ENGLISH
Lectures and classes will be conducted at the Jagiellonian University Campus in Krakow (Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Biotechnology), and the LIFE SCIENCE PARK in Krakow. A portion of the classes, utilising the technological resources at the disposal of the Partners (Poland's leading science centres), will be conducted at the location of the relevant partner universities, as video-conferences. Lectures conducted by foreign experts (practitioners) will be conducted via the Internet.
Enrolment depends on application order. Application will take place via the electronic student enrolment (ESE) system. The enrolment limit is 22-40 students.
a civil law contract signed by the candidate, supplied after their registration in the ESE system;
- higher education diploma or duplicate thereof;
- two photos.
COURSE FEE PLN 3,900 PER YEAR.
Enrolment period: 11 June 2012 - 12 September 2012.
MANNER OF GRADUATION
A prerequisite for graduation from the "Business in Biotechnology" postgraduate program is obtaining a positive grade in every graded subject, while also meeting the attendance requirement. After graduating from the program, the attendee will receive a diploma of completing the postgraduate program. The grade in the diploma is awarded on the basis of a weighted average of all subject credits.
QUALIFICATIONS OF GRADUATES
Graduates of the "Business in Biotechnology" postgraduate program will possess theoretical and practical knowledge of the practical aspects of operating a business in the life science industry (organising and managing a business), with particular focus on biotechnology, and with intensive implementation of technology transfer and innovation management processes.
The graduates will learn the skills of organising teamwork and directing teams, as well as efficient communication, negotiating, and persuasion. The graduates will be prepared to work in companies operating in the field of biotechnology and related industries, in R&D units of the biotechnological industry and related sectors. Moreover, the graduates will be prepared to work at specialist positions within the management system, as middle and top managers, advisors, and consultants for commercial or public organisations, and above all to operate their own businesses.
- Director of Studies: Tomasz Panz, PhD, tel. 12-664-6514, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Studies Coordinator: Justyna Morawska-Płoskonka, tel. +48 512-032-476, 12-297-46-12, e-mail: email@example.com
ADDRESSES OF THE MANAGING INSTITUTIONS
- Faculty of Biochemistry, Biophysics, and Biotechnology of the JU, ul. Gronostajowa 7, 30-387 Krakow
- Jagiellońskie Centrum Innowacji Sp. z o.o., ul. Bobrzynskiego 14, 30-348 Krakow